Join us for a 12 mile challenge along the stunning Seven Sisters route along the South Downs Way, starting from Alfriston and finishing in Eastbourne.
The route follows the River Cuckmere south passing though Friston Forest and then into Seven Sisters Country Park before reaching the coast and following the roller coaster route over the Seven Sisters. From Cuckmere Haven to Beachy Head the trail presents some steep climbs and equally steep descents, that will test your fitness and your resilience but the breathtaking landscape and sheer white cliffs are worth every bit of effort.
The trail passes Birling Gap, a National Trust property with a café and shop for refreshments. The route then passes Belle Tout lighthouse, moved back from the cliff edge on rollers a few years ago, opening up to stunning views down to the red and white striped Beachy Head Lighthouse. A final climb up to the top of Beachy Head, Britain’s highest chalk cliff where a nearby pub awaits for a well earned rest. From there, it’s down hill all the way to Eastbourne’s beach front promenade and the end of the day’s challenge.
Transport is provided from Eastbourne train station to the start point in Alfriston. Should the weather decide not to be kind to us, there is an option to start at Exceat instead of Alfriston to reduce the distance to 9 miles. Public transport or taxi pick-up options are available at both Birlington Gap and Beachy Head.
The schedule for the day is as follows:
- Meet at Victoria at 7:30am to get the 7:47am train to Eastbourne, arriving at Eastbourne 9:08am
- Take arranged transfer to Alfriston (20 min drive). Note anyone living close to the area are welcome to meet the group at Alfriston.
- Start the walk by 10:00am arriving Birling Gap at around 12:30pm
- Lunch break 12:30pm – 2:00pm at Birling Gap. Note the café will only offer light snacks so you will need to bring your own lunch
- Depart Birling Gap 2:00pm and arrive at Beachy Head around 3:00pm
- Walk or take a transfer back to Eastbourne pier arriving some time after 4:00pm depending on departure time.
- Early dinner at a location to be decided, starting approximately 5:30pm
- Those wanting to take the 7:47pm train back to London Victoria will arrive at 9:25pm (and will need to finish dinner by around 7:30pm)